In an editorial the NY Times is taking issue with the discarding “of unsuitable kidneys”. The point that they raise is that if the distribution system was more efficient and fairer perhaps half of over 2600 discarded kidneys might have been used. Kevin Sack in a separate article in the Times reviews a new system proposed by a UNOS committee: “the top 20 percent of kidneys would be matched to the candidates expected to survive the longest, placing older patients at a disadvantage. But the remaining 80 percent would still be allocated primarily by time spent on the wait list.”
The UNOS concept document is downloadable and provides insights into the current system and the proposed new system. UNOS is looking for feedback preferably by email email@example.com.